Friday, May 30, 2008

scallops again

All that shopping made me hungry, so I headed to M&S to pick up something suitably yummy for dinner.

From their Cook! Fish range, I selected Wild Scallops with a minted pea dressing – “succulent sweet wild Alaskan scallops with fresh baby spinach and a light crème fraiche and minted pea dressing” - £6.99, 316kcal, “serves 2”.

To accompany the scallops, I bought my favourite frites (£1.19, 410kcal, “serves 1”) (so much for no more carbs!), and some cherries for dessert.

M&S portion control is all over the place – I felt the scallops would be a bit of a stretch for two, whereas the frites could quite easily be enough for two. Also beware the cooking advice – they say 8 minutes for the scallops, which by my reckoning is way too long. Overcooked scallops are not good.

Dinner was very delicious – the minted pea dressing was very subtle, but complimented the scallops perfectly. I think Kensington Place started this minted pea thing with scallops (it’s one of their signature dishes), and I would say M&S has achieved a rather good supermarket version.

No comments: