Monday, August 03, 2009

Live tweeting the summer sandwich twitter competition

.

SummerSandwich
Originally uploaded by Benjamin Ellis




Anticipation and preparations

bubith had a new thought... hows about a humble chip butty of the #summersandwich ? prebought bread, butter and oven chips! What could go wrong?

M4ryDeNovo now in possession of home grown cucumber for #summersandwich talk about perfect timing from my Italian neighbour bless him

Andyqsmith @NickiePhilbin Okay it will be a team effort, Me and @nicolarse51 both tweeting live in just aprons, from a field #summersandwich

NickiePhilbin @RedMummy I hope you have managed to finish your badger bap for #summersandwich? ( Kill it first, mind)

Andyqsmith Bread making is going well so far #summersandwich http://short.to/l8ny

edwardclarke Quite concerned at all this bread making going on for #summersandwich. Shop bought just clearly won't cut it!!

Andyqsmith @edwardclarke You have to scratch bake!

edwardclarke @Andyqsmith but my #summersandwich is already photographed!!

Andyqsmith @edwardclarke Okay maybe it is a little late!. Did you buy it from Subway?

stu_art_ist @Andyqsmith Just getting a chance to catch up on tweets and pics, just how many 'BUNS' are you entering in the contest #summersandwich :))

Andyqsmith I feel I should apologise for my bottom, sorry. @nicolarse51 made me do it.

NickiePhilbin @Andyqsmith Those buns need no apologisng for. Just dollop of mayo...#summersandwich

edwardclarke @NickiePhilbin #summersandwich looks like it's going to be a bumper edition!

NickiePhilbin To anyone following me but not #summersandwich, I apologise for the next 30 tweets. Can't be helped, as coming up is JUDGEMENT TIME


Announcements begin - the chef’s tips

NickiePhilbin Like the Chancellor on budget day have my pot of tea ready to see me through the onslaught of #summersandwich RT people who may want results


SummerSandwich - Darius Zvinis
Originally uploaded by Benjamin Ellis



NickiePhilbin #summersandwich results about to be tweeted. Many thanks to our Chef Darius Zvinis from The Landings @landingsrestaur

M4ryDeNovo <<< has G & T for #summersandwich results, well have G & T cos its that time of the day!

NickiePhilbin Darius is Canadian with Polish roots, and thoroughly enjoyed himself -fav s/wich is roast pork & onion confit.

NickiePhilbin Tip - key to a great sandwich is good quality ingredients. Kept > eye on the quality of bread, and of the meats used

NickiePhilbin > Darius Tip - less is more. Great sandwiches can be spoiled by being too busy. Now – the comments from Darius...


Chef’s competition comments

NickiePhilbin we have@M4ryDeNovo – great bread! Too bad crusts were cut. Good example of less is more

RedMummy@NickiePhilbin No mention of roadkill or badgers then?


NickiePhilbin and @Andyqsmith @nicolarse51 - prob v tasty, great marinade. Presentation not best, but looked a lot of fun!

NickiePhilbin then @Redmummy - Not too keen on presentation. looks very tasty, especially smoked salmon.





maggiephilbin@NickiePhilbin Personally I liked @andyqsmith's presentation.

caalie@maggiephilbin I bet you did..!

NickiePhilbin and @edwardclarke - Pastrami looks good - this is key. Maybe too much flavour - perhaps gherkin, mustard and chilli would be enough



NickiePhilbin then @squidge1997 - you're like me in the kitchen - who needs recipes?! Very Creative and a lot of fun!






NickiePhilbin And @caalie - looks like a real sandwich! Some good flavours.





NickiePhilbin then to @annraulston - this made me laugh. More art than sandwich


NickiePhilbin on to @shar13 - very nice, very creative, an interesting combination which is definitely worth trying

caalie@stu_art_ist what are you doing? it's 6pm on #summersandwich night!


NickiePhilbin then @stu_art_ist - very creative and the flavours are there. How practical is it? It needs to make it to the table..


maggiephilbin @stu_art_ist Defend your sandwich!

RedMummy@maggiephilbin I'm still opting for the Homer Simpson sandwich!


NickiePhilbin so to @JimAnning - you know something about food. Great ingredients, properly put together, looks good.





NickiePhilbin then we have @bubith - this looks really great and really tasty


NickiePhilbin over to @maggiephilbin - a little crazy! (sandwich not person)



NickiePhilbin next @TrinityRhapsody - Nicely done, perhaps a little fussy

NickiePhilbin then (be still my beating heart) @nickiephilbin - too many ingredients, but a great steak sandwich

NickiePhilbin the lovely @TrevorLamont - it should have been a stella! :)

maggiephilbin@NickiePhilbin What do you mean crazy? It was bloody delicious.

stu_art_ist@maggiephilbin I can't Im too busy laughing... this guy was hard :))

NickiePhilbin lastly @handbagpets, best unjudged entry and best bikini

caalie@NickiePhilbin not sure if Jim's comment isn't a slur on the rest of us... #summersandwich

NickiePhilbin Darius decided to judge in two categories, fun and serious entries – or too hard to judge them against each other.


two minute pause - critique of judge - tweets *explode*

NickiePhilbin who do you think got what, want a rest for two mins to tweet before I go on?

maggiephilbin@NickiePhilbin Am just waiting to see which category he decided to put my entry in.

RedMummy@NickiePhilbin I need a couple of minutes to compose myself & mop up my tears at having my DIVINE presentation so cruelly criticised.

edwardclarke@RedMummy He's a very harsh judge! #summersandwich

RedMummy@maggiephilbin Who's in charge of ensuring next category is soup? I can do soup.

caalie@RedMummy yes, call for the next category quick before the winner decides it's summertreacle or something!

stu_art_ist@NickiePhilbin I'm exhausted after all that, not sure if tears are from laughing or stress :))

annraulston@NickiePhilbin That tweet was more than 2 minutes ago!

maggiephilbin@RedMummy Yes this is where we have to show what we are really made of and rehearse congratulatory remarks, for we have surely lost

RedMummy@maggiephilbin Am already sitting here with rictus grin in case passing Google streetcam catches me. (Muttering new & inventive swearwords).

RedMummy@edwardclarke Am mortified. Never thought I could be quite so badly upset by someone criticising my DIVINE presentation.

edwardclarke@RedMummy It was really good; the cheek of these judges!!

RedMummy@edwardclarke *clutching sides* *helpless giggling*

maggiephilbin@annraulston And you - clearly currying favour with judge with droll humour,

annraulston@maggiephilbin Absolutely! Humour key ingredient of this mad competition!

NickiePhilbin sorry, my tweet blew up, had to relaunch, not on purpose

edwardclarke@RedMummy He didn't like my innovative flavour medley either! Red cabbage needed for colour!! #summersandwich

RedMummy@NickiePhilbin Did you blow your tweet up with one of those culinary blow torches? I do SO want one of those. Not for cooking though.

stu_art_ist@maggiephilbin Never before has my finger been hitting the page refresh button so quickly......

M4ryDeNovo Tweetdeck decided to go belly up blasted thing

edwardclarke RT @NickiePhilbin: sorry, my tweet blew up, had to relaunch, not on purpose #summersandwich

stu_art_ist@RedMummy Fantastic... this is hilarious :)

M4ryDeNovo@stu_art_ist nor mine now!

NickiePhilbin sorry my laptop and twitter now playing up, trying to go too fast, will start, if delay, it is not refreshing


round 1 - fun category

NickiePhilbin Fun category tweeted first, good luck to all! Very strong category.....


NickiePhilbin 3rd - @TrevorLamont (might've won if it had been a stella...)


NickiePhilbin 2nd - @squidge1997 fantastic fun and clearly loves being creative



M4ryDeNovo go andy go andy go andy

NickiePhilbin and drum roll please we have the fantastic1st - @Andyqsmith and @nicolarse51 well done!

M4ryDeNovo yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh @andyqsmith result

TrevorLamont if the judge had sampled my sandwich i bet id have won after all it was carlsberg and probably was the best sandwich in the world


finals - the winners!

NickiePhilbin Next, serious category, the most highly coveted and highly fought after > Runners up - @JimAnning, @caalie & @bubith

RedMummy@stu_art_ist I have a callous on my "refreshing" finger!

M4ryDeNovo yeahhhh @bubith


NickiePhilbin 3rd - @nickiephilbin - it was the ginger with the steak that won me over (bristling with pride)

M4ryDeNovo ohhhh @nickiephilbin well done xx


NickiePhilbin 2nd - @shar13 - really like that combination of flavours next, our WINNER!!!

caalie@NickiePhilbin :) go you!

NickiePhilbin here we go, 1st - @edwardclarke - this just looked so tasty, maybe it's my Polish > roots.. Well done to Ed, winner for 2nd time!!!
.


NickiePhilbin Thank you to all who took part and to @caalie and @BenjaminEllis for taking time to take pics to Chef Darius

NickiePhilbin That concludes the votes from Norwegian jury. Over and out. Our fabulous winner @edwardclarke takes the prize again! >


Congratulations

RedMummy@maggiephilbin Go on then, congratulate @nickiephilbin for 3rd prize. Pass the tissues, please.

edwardclarke@NickiePhilbin Oh my goodness!! I take back everything I said about judge! He's fabulous!! #summersandwich

maggiephilbin@edwardclarke You have stolen title from me

edwardclarke@maggiephilbin But it was thanks to you I managed to upload the #summersandwich into the dreaded photobucket!

maggiephilbin@edwardclarke there you go - shooting myself in foot yet again. Should have left you beached up on sands of technofail

edwardclarke@maggiephilbin But you wouldn't because you're a kind lovely person!

maggiephilbin@edwardclarke :-))

M4ryDeNovo@edwardclarke well done you :O))))

RedMummy@edwardclarke SOUP, Edward. Just soup. Congratulations. Now think SOUP. Xxxxx

edwardclarke@RedMummy You've got it, darling!

edwardclarke@NickiePhilbin Haha! I also have Polish roots!! #summersandwich

maggiephilbin@NickiePhilbin well done sis. Am I alone in the crazy category?

M4ryDeNovo@maggiephilbin I think the judge is still trying to think up a category for some of us!

caalie@maggiephilbin I don't think you are alone in that category, the rest of us take care to disguise it on important occasions :)

NickiePhilbin@maggiephilbin yes, you all alone and gurning in crazy category

RedMummy@NickiePhilbin @maggiephilbin Good to see the sisterly love is as ever going into overload! x

stu_art_ist@edwardclarke Yeah for you :)) I bit you are just grinning cheek to cheek :))

annraulston@NickiePhilbin Fabulous fun and results! What is next month's subject?

caalie@edwardclarke congratulations :)

RedMummy@maggiephilbin Where's the smile? I also have Polish roots, my Mum was half Polish & half Russian. Does Darius not like Russians? Hrmph.

RedMummy@edwardclarke Look, a hearty Mazal tov. SOUP SOUP SOUP SOUP SOUP SOUP SOUP SOUP (& chopped liver). X

stu_art_ist@RedMummy LOL, tears are becoming a regular feature during the cook offs, that was just so funny.... I think I am actually shaking :))

maggiephilbin Many congratulations to @edwardclarke and @andyqsmith/@nicolarse who take #summersandwich titles. Finalists here http://tinyurl.com/nr5oqc

RedMummy@stu_art_ist Tears so useful as they add sodium content to our recipes as we none of use salt any more.

caalie@stu_art_ist ditto - I just looove it!!


Next month’s challenge

edwardclarke I declare next month the month of the SummerStarter, so give free vent to your creativity! #summersandwich

edwardclarke Thanks everyone for a wonderful #summersandwich competoi

edwardclarke Gak ! twitter fail ! #summersandwich

edwardclarke Thanks everyone for a great #summersandwich competition, and especially to @nickiephilbin for organizing it!

RedMummy@nickiephilbin Yes, I second @edwardclarke's thanks to you for organising the comp & also to @maggiephilbin for encouragement! x

M4ryDeNovo Many many thanks to @BenjaminEllis @caalie @nickiephilbin @maggiephilbin and Darius the Lamont Clan had the best fun Again! Thank You :O)

stu_art_ist RT @TrinityRhapsody Well done to all #summersandwich entries. Have had such fun!!!

caalie@edwardclarke you'll have to watch out with the whole summer thing - I think we may have had it..

stu_art_ist@caalie I agree, next months will have to be #Autumnsomething , I'm looking forward to getting less summery with my ingredients :))

edwardclarke@caalie Yes, this month will definitely be the last we can exploit the #summer tag!

maggiephilbin RT @edwardclarke I declare next month the month of the SummerStarter, so give free vent to your creativity!

RedMummy@edwardclarke Seriously, well done you! X


Aftermath

M4ryDeNovo oh my giddy aunt I am slightly worried about @Trevorlamont's version of a #summerstarter

M4ryDeNovo@caalie I have no idea what he will do but it will not be normal he just doesnt seem able to do normal - bless him

edwardclarke Thanks too to @BenjaminEllis and @caalie for organizing the judging! #summersandwich

edwardclarke As a 2 times winner in the twitter tweet cookoff, I am launching a competition consultancy to aid competitors reach their full potential!

RedMummy Oh help. The Joshua is intent on washing his gerbils in bathroom sink. Does anyone have telephone number of emergency vet?

M4ryDeNovo Now Tweetdeck decides to work

M4ryDeNovo drank my G & T so fast in the excitement feel quite light headed now!

caalie@edwardclarke I sign up! I've never even ranked. What do I need to know??

edwardclarke@caalie I think main thing is to think visually - colour, texture, etc - get @BenjaminEllis to do his best artistic shot of your creation!

caalie@edwardclarke yes, he was willfully absent while I was creating!

stu_art_ist@maggiephilbin It was all happening so fast I didn't have time to savour all comments, will spend happy hour now back tracking :))

edwardclarke@BenjaminEllis Thank you! and thanks once again or the great judging photo set! #summersandwich

RedMummy@edwardclarke You obviously have a talent. You'll be in the Clapham local paper again! Remember to tweet the article! Well done! X

RedMummy@edwardclarke I'm just secretly relieved that my sandwiches didn't actually poison my father!

stu_art_ist@edwardclarke And you were worried about your shop bought bagel :)) Told you it would be fine :)

caalie@edwardclarke he was impressed with the pastrami. I was impressed that he could tell...

edwardclarke@caalie Heavens! It was just ordinary Sainsbury's pastrami!

caalie@edwardclarke hah! you've been outed :) I won't tell the judge. there were a lot of things I didn't tell him...

NickiePhilbin Have only just seen the fantastic @BenjaminEllis http://www.flickr.com/photo... #summersandwich they are wonderful!

stu_art_ist @BenjaminEllis Fantastic photos and words, thank you so much for making our fun and hysteria look almost professional :)) #summersandwich

JimAnning @landingsrestaur thanks for getting involved today in judging the #summersandwich comp. Much appreciated.


______________

loveclapham Any good suggestions for a local takeaway (that delivers... it's raining)? I want to try something new.

edwardclarke@loveclapham I've just won the twitter tweet cookoff again! Maybe I should start a takeaway service??!

loveclapham @edwardclarke Ooh, yes please! Award winning food to my door is definitely a good idea. Why not start now?! (congrats btw! what was it?)

stu_art_ist http://twitpic.com/cf3dn - unwanted #summersandwich cutter for sale, any offers welcome:) Swirls were so not in this month :))



landingsrestaur Chef Darius choose the winning sandwich in the cook-off #summersandwich! Enjoy our delicious Clubhouse Sandwich in our lounge daily!


Links

Photos of Chef Darius Zvinis judging the competition are courtesy of Benjamin Ellis

Landings Restaurant
66 Farnborough Road
Farnborough
GU14 6TH
@landingsrestaur on twitter

The monthly twitter cookoff competitions are organised by Nickie Philbin (@NickiePhilbin on twitter)

Next twitter cookoff competition: Summer Starter

Previous twitter cookoff competition: Summer Tart

No comments: