Saturday, March 21, 2009

I spy with my little eye . . .

Yay for the vernal equinox! - Spring is busting out all over on Clapham Common, with sun-happy commoners soaking up the rays. Hard to believe just weeks ago we were all frolicking in the snow. I’m just back from a quick sortie to Sainsbury’s to pick up some fruit (just off a stressed 36 hours) and the Guardian. Just enough time to share some blog love with you all before heading off to the Royal Academy to meet Catriona and the Byzantines.

Guess who I saw in Sainbury’s?? Vivienne Westwood, that’s who!!! Amazing! Of course always knew La Westwood lived in Clapham but never in a million gazillion years did I think I would bump into her at Sainsbury’s. She was buying flowers and lots of fruit and vegetables. She was reusing shopping bags!

She was wearing a rather gorgeous lime green coat, and had beautiful glasses (own brand? - couldn’t tell). I pass over her footwear in silence.

Yep, unfortunately I spent my time in the queue scoping her out (I hope relatively discreetly) - I did however manage to refrain from asking for her autograph or a mobile phone photo.

2 comments:

Sylvia said...

ah yes, Vivienne Westwood. When I had more money, I joined a walking group which met by the bowling green cafe. La Westwood was often spotted on her bicycle coming up from Thurleigh Rd to scoot across the common to the Old Town where she lives. Or was it the other way? I would often see Streatham's answer to Carrie Bradshaw - an elderly over 6 ft tall transvestite who always cycled round. Last spring he moved up to Thurleigh Rd and resided there in his red van for a while. Haven't spotted him recently.

wv: menjoy

Hedgie said...

Oh wow! Sounds like someone to watch out for . . .